It’s back again another year! The day many anticipate, and others dread… FAMILY WEEKEND!!! Often considered TWAMP mayhem on account of the lack of parking spaces as well as lack of classroom seats, there are several underrated perks to having them rents come to town! Not to mention all of the fun events included as part of Family Weekend! You may think of this weekend as a negative experience as well, but listen up, and PRAISE BEYONCE that Family Weekend is a thing!
First of all, let’s get to it and discuss food. Ain’t you getting bored of having Sadler 5 times a week, EVERY. WEEK. Then conveniently when you finally need a break from the cycle, BOOM! – Your parents have arrived to whisk you away to MULTIPLE meals of your choice. And also, hopefully they will also take you out supply shopping or if you’re really lucky or persistent, clothes shopping!! Plus who needs a car on campus when your parents are coming down?! And the best part of these perks, YOU DON’T HAVE TO PAY. As college students, we are slowly being immersed into the actual real world, in which lovely Mumsie and Popsicle can’t or won’t always be able to help you out financially. So take advantage of it while you can y’all!
As for the official events taking place, here is a run-down of them all!
1) Featured Faculty Series – There will be faculty lectures from a variety of subjects.
President’s Welcome Session – Come listen to yours truly, President Reveley, and let your parents know about the guy they’ve been missing out on!
2) Family Weekend Picnic – Enjoy a picnic lunch complete with a jazz trio, tours of the historic Wren Building and President’s house, and socializing with other W&M families. Wren Yard (Ticket Purchase REQUIRED!)
3) William & Mary Sings – An A Capella Concert featuring a dozen talented student a cappella groups. Lake Matoaka Amphitheater (IN CASE OF RAIN, the event will be held in W&M Hall)
4) Tribe Football! – Zable Stadium (Ticket Purchase REQUIRED!)
1) Bone Marrow Family Weekend 5K (Begins at 8:30 a.m. in front of the Student Recreation Center) – Pre-register or arrive at 7:30 a.m. for race day registration.
No matter what you do, just make sure you make most of the time you have with your family, for you likely won’t see them for quite a long while. It is the weekend, so try not to push your fam right out the door on account of “homework” that “immediately needs to be done.” PUH-LEASE. I’m pretty sure we all appreciate the things our families do for us, so why not show it!
Have fun this weekend y’all! But not too much fun!