You guessed it! This blog post is going to be about Pinterest and all the resources it can offer you as part of Res Life staff. Male readers–keep reading! Contrary to what many believe, Pinterest offers so much more than creative wedding ideas, hair and wardrobe ideas for women (though those categories can be especially fun for me to browse).
The basics of how Pinterest works:
- Once you have an account, you can choose to create “pins” which is an image or video you add to the site from another website or from your computer and these “pins” link back to their source, which is normally another website.
- “Boards” on Pinterest are where you sort your pins based on themes (examples: party ideas, sports, style, art, wish list, fitness and health ideas, clothing ideas, cool places, bucket list, decorating ideas, DIY, wedding ideas)
- Your pins can be re-pinned by others to their boards just as you can pin others’ pins to your boards
- You can follow other users or their specific boards
You don’t have to have an account to use Pinterest. I don’t have one but I can still access all these cool ideas. Here’s how I do it:
Using the Google search bar, I type in “Pinterest search + ______”
Specific examples of things I have looked up include “Pinterest search + res life,” “Pinterest search + inspiration,” and “Pinterest search + DIY” to look up ideas on these themes, but use whatever key word you want and related pins will generate from the Pinterest website.
Or you can make an account and keep track of all the pins you like with your boards! Which is probably what I should do since I’ve been using Pinterest a lot more frequently…
Pinterest can be used for:
- Making a wishlist
- Planning a trip
- Organizing an event
- Starting a collection
- Planning a project
- Promoting corporate/non-profit efforts (many companies have Pinterest accounts to enhance marketing, communication and their online presence)
Some ideas on how you can use Pinterest as an RA or other member of Res Life staff:
- consider creating a Pinterest page for your hall and advertising it as a place where people can submit and pin ideas to the board or page
- create a board of ideas, images, videos or links that inspire your event planning and activities
- search the site for ideas on board themes and design
- search Pinterest for fitness, time management, organizational, health, food and professional tips
Here are some cool Pinterest pages for you to browse!
- General Information on Interesting Things (great poster resources/ theme ideas for boards despite this vague sub-heading)
http://www.pinterest.com/sharp/best-infographics/(a board of one of the co-founders of Pinterest)
- Just for Funsies:
- To Keep Up the PRC 90s Theme:
Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off